Several factors go into determining which facial procedure is right for you, or if plastic surgery is even necessary. Take time to find a facial plastic surgeon that will help you determine which procedure will give you the results you want.
Some questions to ask yourself first
Before you meet with your plastic surgeon, ask yourself the following questions:
- What’s bothering me?
- What do I want to look like after surgery?
- How much recovery time do I have?
- What can I afford?
- Who is around to help me recover?
The answers to these questions will help you determine whether or not plastic surgery is the right choice, as well as which procedures would benefit you the most.
What’s bothering me? Once you have established your main concerns, your surgeon will be able to suggest specific procedures that will address these particular areas. It’s important that you decide what matters most to you. Your surgeon can suggest a number of issues to address, but if it isn’t the thing that bothers you the most, you won’t be happy with the results.
What do I want to look like after plastic surgery? Your expectations determine which procedure will work. If you are seeking a perfect appearance or dramatic alterations, then multiple surgeries will probably be the answer. However, if you’re looking for improvement in particular areas, there are less invasive (and less expensive) ways to accomplish this.
How much recovery time do I have? What can I afford? Who is around to help me recover? While you may want a full facelift, you may not have the time or the resources required. If you don’t have the time or resources to get surgery right away, there are many non-surgical options that can help improve your appearance and postpone surgery.
Plastic Surgery Alternatives: Non-Surgical Options with Big Results
Injectables add volume and postpone surgery. Injectables have come a long way. In the past, injectables were primarily used to fill lines, but they didn’t actually produce a more youthful appearance. An aging appearance is caused by both a lack of volume, and by the pull of sagging tissues shifting the remaining volume into the wrong places. Adding the right kind of volume into the proper areas of the face creates a youthful contour and fullness, making the face appear younger and revitalized. With injectables, one can achieve a more youthful appearance without surgery. These injectable procedures can even postpone surgery for 5-10 years, and sometimes forever.
Some things to keep in mind as you’re searching for someone to perform an injectable procedure:
- Focus on the results this person is able to achieve. While there are many products on the market, your injector’s ability to inject the right amount of the right product in the right place is the most important factor.
- Injections are not about filling lines. This is an outdated approach and results in a face that looks very unnatural. Look at the results of your chosen provider to determine if you like their work.
- Injections that are done well recreate youthful facial proportions by adding volume in appropriate places. This technique will enhance your most attractive facial features.
Lasers can take years off your appearance. Studies show that, trans-culturally, one of the main things viewed as indicators of youth and attractiveness is the evenness of one’s skin tone. Lasers are able to tighten facial skin, soften the texture, even skin tone, and improve overall skin quality with little or no down time and a smaller cost. This procedure is performed in-office and may be able to give you the rejuvenated look you’re searching for without any surgery.
What to look for when choosing a laser treatment provider:
- Most laser centers have lasers that treat the entire body. Total body lasers are not as effective on the delicate skin of the face and neck. Seek a provider that has lasers designed specifically for the face and neck.
- The ability of the person operating the laser is much more important than the laser itself. Use a center with providers who have experience and a proven history of achieving great results.
- Look at before and after pictures to see if you like the results you see. Talk with current patients to see what their experience was like.
Skin care products prevent and treat aging. Topical skin care solutions are another less expensive and simple option to help improve skin quality and tone. With the right skin care product, you can prevent or improve sun damage and aging in your face and neck.
When purchasing skin care products, you should:
- Buy from someone you know and trust will help you find the right solution, from
- start to finish.
- Buy products that have data showing that the product will actually change your skin.
- Buy products that you know you will use on a regular basis.
Sometimes surgery is the answer.
Realistically, there are some things that cannot be accomplished with anything but surgery. Whether or not you need surgery will depend on the degree of improvement desired, what your expectations are, and what specific area you are concerned about. Scheduling a consultation with your facial plastic surgeon will help you gain a clearer understanding of your options.
Choose a surgeon you trust.
It is very important to find a surgeon you trust to help you determine exactly what options will work for you. Find a surgeon that will listen and talk with you, someone who will offer you various options and show you various results. Ask to see before and after pictures and make sure you like the results you see and that you trust your surgeon’s ability to take care of the issues that concern you.